Factory Records: MARK FARROW
Graphic designer who worked on selected Factory product
Adrian Shaughnessy interviewed Mark Farrow on the occasion of him being voted "the best graphic designer working today" in Creative Review's annual Peer Poll [October 2004 issue].
Highlights include the following exchange about Peter Saville:
AS: Peter Saville has won the Creative Review peer poll of the past two years. Tony Wilson [Factory Records founder] has said that Saville refers to you as the "apprentice", and Wilson also reckons that you are the only person Saville feels threatened by? Is this Wilson myth-making, or is there something in it?
MF: Yeah, I've heard all this. And the story about Saville presenting a sleeve mock up to New Order for Technique, and someone saying to him, 'have you seen Farrow's design for Introspective [Pet Shop Boys album]? It's the same design.' I know all about that. I remember him and Malcolm Garrett coming into a record shop I worked in on Saturday mornings in Manchester. He and Malcolm would buy loads of stuff. And I've said many times that Unknown Pleasures had a huge effect on me. It changed my view about what record covers should be.
I always want to know what Peter's doing, and I rarely dislike what he does. I liked the exhibition and the book. So yes, he's an influence. But am I his apprentice? Well, there are worse people to be apprenticed to, but no, I;m not his apprentice. Besides, I'm a lot more successful than he is [laughs].
- FAC 106 LIFE Tell Me [FCLUK, SINGLE, 7-INCH, Production: BEMUSIC (STEPHEN MORRIS & GILLIAN GILBERT), Design: MARK FARROW]
- FAC 111 SHARK VEGAS You Hurt Me[FCLUK, SINGLE, 12-INCH, CASSETTE, Production: BEMUSIC & DOJO (BERNARD SUMNER & DONALD JOHNSON), Design: MARK FARROW]
- FAC 122 LIFE Optimism[FCLUK, SINGLE, 7-INCH, Production: BEMUSIC (STEPHEN MORRIS & GILLIAN GILBERT), Design: MARK FARROW]
- FAC 157 SECTION 25 Bad News Week[FCLUK, SECTION 25, SINGLE, 12-INCH, Production: BERNARD SUMNER, Design: MARK FARROW]
- FACT 246 DUKE STRING QUARTET Duke String Quartet[FCLUK, ALBUM, CD, LP, CASSETTE, CLASSICAL, Production: PAUL SMITH & THE DUKE STRING QUARTET, Design: PETER SAVILLE / BRETT WICKENS (PETER SAVILLE ASSOCIATES), Photographic art direction: MARK FARROW for 3a]
- FAC 328 ELECTRONIC Feel every beat[FCLUK, ELECTRONIC, SINGLE, 12-INCH, 7-INCH, CDS, CASSETTE, VIDEO, VHS, MARK FARROW, JOHNNY MARR, BERNARD SUMNER, ]
- FBN 19 STOCKHOLM MONSTERS Miss Moonlight[FBN, SINGLE, STOCKHOLM MONSTERS, 12-INCH, BEMUSIC PETER HOOK, MARK FARROW, ]
- FAC 72 A CERTAIN RATIO I Need Someone Tonight[FACOZ, SINGLE, A CERTAIN RATIO, 12-INCH, MARK FARROW, ]